May 21, 2018

Mott's Nature Center

Volunteering is one of the single most important aspects of the Virginia Master Naturalist organization.  Our chapter does quite a bit of volunteering at Mott's Reservoir and the Nature Center located there.

I try to volunteer at the Nature Center once a month.  In May I had over 53 visitors and was just amazed at the number of children that came in and then begged to stay longer.  We had quite a few participate in the scavenger hunt, where they had to find facts within the center.  Pocket, the center's resident corn snake, put on quite a show by eating a mouse.  The most interesting thing was about three families whose children came back after hiking and wanted to learn more about what they observed on their hike.  Definitely future naturalists in the making!!

This past weekend was quiet at the nature center.  After a week of rain the sun finally came out on Sunday but people were still drying out.  Three young women came into the center inquiring about the orienteering course.  While I provided a compass, map and instructions I could not answer any of their questions using the compass with the map.  I hate not being of assistance, needless to say I will be watching some videos on orienteering. 

While human activity was low, nature was quite busy.  A pair of mallard ducks decided to sun themselves on a log that jutted out into the reservoir near the center.  I watched them jump into the water, wade, swim, splash, bottoms up - you name it.  They were quite an entertaining pair.  But then I also had three various visitors come directly into the center to sun themselves on the nice wood floor in the sun.  

First was an American Toad, who was a bit of an escape artist and difficult to catch.  Luckily there was no one around as I am fairly certain my actions would have been fabulous video fodder.  Eventually he was caught and taken downstairs to freedom.

My next two visitors where lightning fast.  The first was a broadhead skink.  A very good size one, that allowed some photos.  Obviously not his first visit as he knew where the front door was.  The second was a five lined skink.  He zipped into the center in a flash, then zoomed around the edge and hid behind a chair.  He was a bit of a challenge to "herd" back out but once he found the door made a fast exit.

My final visitor was a large black snake who had just eaten dinner.  He was down in the parking area and some human visitors spotted him and asked me to come out and identify what type of snake he was.  With a full belly, he was not moving fast so the visitors had a great time identifying him.  I showed them how his pupil was round and the head was rounded and not diamond shaped, an easy way to tell if a snake was not poisonous.  After posing for pictures and a video he slowly slithered off.

So I closed up the center and smiled on my way out as the visitors were discussing the snake, what he might have eaten and simply excited they had seen one.  Another wonderful day at Mott's Nature Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment