February 28, 2019

Paleo Walk at Stratford Hall

Harry P. was able to arrange an opportunity for the Central Rappahannock Master Naturalists to visit the private beach area of Stratford Hall (located in Westmoreland County) to learn about and hunt for fossils.  I have to admit this has been on my bucket list for years.

We met fairly early at the Stratford Hall Visitor Center, where we were introduced to our guides.  There was a discussion on the types of fossils that have been found, including the favored Megladon teeth and some of the rare finds that have been made.  While a ticket to Stratford Hall will allow access to the beach, that access is restricted to a small area.  We had received special permission to walk past the ropes and head far up the beach.  To provide a more hands on experience the two guides split us into two groups and we heading in opposite directions.
Layers of clay with visible fossils

Clay layer
Armed with waterproof boots, bucket, small shovel and an inexpensive plastic colander I followed our guide Theresa.  The weather was perfect, a bit cool but not uncomfortable.  We walked along the beach at low tide, Theresa pointing out how to look for sharks teeth, bone, fossilized shells and the like.  She pointed out the cliffs (you do not want to walk too closely, a large piece fell while we where there) where you could easily see the stratification.  Each layer of clay was from a different time period, sometimes fossils or mammal bones were evident in each layer.  She spoke of the different animals the fossils came from.  At this point I really wished I had thought to write down everything as my memory is not what it use to be.  What looked like large gray rocks and boulders on the beach, were in fact compressed clay.  Theresa said the fossils would often be found in the clay.
Fallen clay

Denise is searching
Continuing to walk along the beach and crossing a stream, my fellow naturalists continued to look sharks teeth.  I stopped at the stream where it emptied into the Potomac River and decided to use my colander to shift through the silt.  One must readily admit, I could have stayed there all day for in a manner of minutes there were some interesting finds.  Fossilized top plates from a ray, young whale vertebrae (no protrusions on either end indicated youth), a chunk of clay with fossilized imprints, pieces of tree scallops, and a number of pieces of bone.  

Sharks Teeth
Fossilized impressions in clay
Rib bone, bone fragment, whale vertebrae
Like a small child, I went off to show our guide my finds.  She explained what each one was and that all were approximately 5 million years old.  As I looked out across the Potomac I could just imagine how different the landscape must of been.  A smile spread across my face and I walked back up the beach to my vehicle and left.  What a wonderful day.












No comments:

Post a Comment