March 12, 2018

Spring is in the Air, Thoughts Towards the Garden


As we spring forward with the time change, days are getting longer and the temperature rises, our minds start wondering towards warmer outside activities.  It is a great time to prep those kayaks, canoes, tents and outdoor gear but also to start planning any garden activities for our yard.

A few years ago, I would simply go to the nursery and plant whatever I thought was attractive.  But I noticed I was not getting many butterflies or pollinators.  Then I read Doug Tallamy’s book, Bringing Nature Home.  If you have not read it, I would highly encourage you do so.

Doug mentions the importance native plants play in our ecosystem to further encourage native butterflies and pollinators to your garden.  Little did I realize my garden and lawn had become a waste land to local species, although pretty to the eye I was nothing more than conforming to all the other homes in suburbia.  I decided to start switching plants over to more heavily rely on native species.  My reward?  Within 3 years I had an abundance of butterflies, birds that had never visited my yard before, and a large variety of bees…..but that was not all.  My home had become a haven to three different species of skinks, a few chipmunks, squirrels and rabbits not which had previously made their home in my yard.

Now that I have moved from my very mature garden to a new place, I have a clean palette to attract all sorts of butterflies, birds, pollinators, you name it.  The soil is much different here and significant amounts of shade, but that will not limit me.  Learn what natives grown in your soil type.  I already see my native bee balm is coming up and has spread significantly.

There are some great resources out there in deciding what to plant:

A personal favorite:  US Fish & Wildlife Service Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conservation Landscaping Chesapeake Bay Watershed

Another favorite: Central Rappahannock Native Plants 

Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation 

The Virginia Native Plant Society (VNPS) has a wealth of information and I highly recommend reading their site resources.  

Where to buy plants:

VNPS Native Plant Nurseries  

Attend Native Plant Sales:

National Arboretum Sale - March 24, 2018 
Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy - April 7, 2018 
Spring Garden Fest – Reynolds Community College – April 22, 2018 
Northern Alexandria Native Plant Sale – April 28, 2018
Maymont Herb Galore & More – April 28, 2018
Jefferson Chapter Native Plant Sale – April 30, 2018
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Plantfest – May 4-5, 2018
Friends of Riverbend Park Native Plant Sale – May 5, 2018 
Earth Sangha Wild Plant Nursery Sale – May 6, 2018 
Prince William Wildflower Society – May 12, 2018 
Blandy Farm Garden Fair – May 11-13, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment