March 27, 2018

Motts Run Nature Center


A number of the Master Naturalists signed up to attend the Motts Run Nature Center training in order to assist in staffing the Nature Center.  I must confess, it was my very first visit to the center.  Being relatively new to the area, I discovered Motts Run Reservoir last year for kayaking.  Not realizing the Nature Center was there, I would definitely have stopped in. 

What a hidden gem.  This is a place I would definitely have brought my children when they were younger had we lived in the area.  The training session included learning about the resident female snake “Pocket” as well.  Unable to resist the opportunity to hold her, I held my very first snake.  She was cool to the touch, ever so smooth and really quite curious and friendly.  But Pocket wasn’t the only interesting thing in the Nature Center.

The Center is a one room log cabin with numerous on-hands displays.  There was quite a nice library of books on nature, nature games and scavenger hunts.  Equipment that could be checked out such as binoculars, books, field guides, dipnets and so forth.

I must admit, I look forward to volunteering at the Nature Center in hopes that others will be equally inspired and become curious in this beautiful world we live in.  Not to mention I plan on discovering each display personally….as I am always a kid at heart.

Hopefully everyone will take the opportunity to stop by Motts Run Nature Center, open April through October on Saturdays and Sundays from noon – 5pm.  Best of all there is no charge and you can bring a picnic lunch, kayak, fish and hike.





No comments:

Post a Comment