April 2, 2018

The Cacophony Outside


One of the things I have noticed in the past few weeks is just how many birds are singing outside.  The songs have been slowly increasing in crescendo, along with those tell tale signs of spring.  Being a part of the Master Naturalist organization one must admit to paying a bit more attention to these songs now.

My dog walks me at least a mile in the morning and night.  He definitely likes to stop and sniff the proverbial rose so to speak.  Just for the record, I do pick up after him, but that is another topic for another time.  One of the most interesting things I have found is the number of bird songs heard while walking.  It is coming to the point, songs that are new immediately stand out.  Stopping we watch until the bird is located and identified.  Surprisingly enough I am seeing bird species I have never seen in the wild before.  Perhaps it is because my view has changed, but honestly it is due to paying closer attention.  Not to mention slowly learning some of the songs.

This past week I saw my very first Cedar Waxwing, but wait there's more.  I didn't see just one but seven.  All flitting around in my neighbor's yard.  Their high pitched call was new, not hearing that before.  Initially I thought they were female cardinals, but then the yellow tail tip and belly and the black mask gave them away.  I was so excited but alas the only camera with me was my phone and the birds were too far to get a decent picture.  Not to mention my dog pulled me along saying it was time to go.

The next day, we stepped outside and I saw a rather large bird tossing mulch in the air in my flower bed.  At first he looked a bit like a yellow bellied sapsucker, but that was not right.  I ran in and grabbed my Sibley's Guide to North American Birds.  A Northern Flicker with his pretty scallops black feathers.  We sat down and watched him for quite awhile, after all he was hard at work in my garden turning it over for insects.  His harassment of the squirrels was amusing.

My final treat for the week was observing a very small hawk fly overhead.  Luckily my binoculars were with me.  The size caught my attention, stopping to watch until he flew out of sight.  Remembering important identification markings, I was able to look the bird up when I got home.  An American Kestrel.  Reading more about their habitat and conservation needs I realized this really was the treat of the week.

I understand why some of my fellow Naturalists are avid birders, while they probably have seen these species hundreds of times, it was new for me.  When I have to sit inside and work, instead of digital radio I will simply listen to nature's concert going on outside my window and smile as now I know many of the lead vocals and it doesn't cost me a dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment